Bucharest History & Art Museum Sutu Palace
(Muzeul de Istorie si Arta al Municipiului
Address: 2, Bulevardul Bratianu, tel.:
00 40 21 313.85.15
Area downtown University Square
More than 150,000
objects, documents and photographs, drawings, engravings are
exhibited that describe the history of Bucharest from the oldest
times (Neolithic) until the present days.
Built during the period of 1833-1834, in the neo-Gothic style, with
elements of Romanic style, the Palace belonged to the great minister
of foreign affairs Costache Grigore Sutu. The Palace was built
according to the plans of two Viennese architects, Johan Veit and
The interior was
decorated by the sculptor Karl Storck, who used elements of the
neoclassic style. Above the monumental ladder on the inside there is
a cupola with ornaments in the Pompeian style.
It was one of the most frequented
palaces of the Bucharest of the 19th century.
National History Museum
(Muzeul National de Istorie al
Address: 12, Calea Victoriei Tel: (21) 315.82.07
Area downtown Victotoriei Ave Old City Center
Open: Tue. – Sun. 10:00am – 6:00pm; Closed Mon. (May – September);
Tue. – Sun. 9:00am – 5:00pm; Closed Mon. (October – April)
The museum was
established in the Post Palace, one of the most remarkable monuments
of architecture in the capital, built in the neoclassical style by
the architect Alexandru Săvulescu during the 19th century and
restored between 1969 and 1970. The museum collections have 690,099
artefacts, including archaeological finds - 79,280, history items -
191,114, coins - 338.711, rare books - 755, and 80,239 stamps.
The museum collections constantly grow due to donations,
acquisitions and new archaeological finds. The collection of metal
and precious or semiprecious stones from the modern age of the
history of Romania often reflects new preferences and tastes,
prevailing trends of western decorative styles and manners.
The highlight is the
National Treasury Hall where visitors can enjoy a dazzling
display of some 3,000 gold items, including jewelry and valuable
Among the displays are the 12 pieces of the 4th century Pietroasele
Treasure Collection. First presented at the 1867 World’s Fair in
Paris, it was considered the most valuable treasure collection in
the world (the tomb of Tutankamon had not yet been discovered). One
year later, the collection was displayed at the Second Annual
International Exhibition in London and in 1872, at the International
Exhibition in Vienna.